This year’s event will be entirely virtual so that we can ensure the safety and well being of participants. But we have attended many virtual events over the past year, this one will be different.
Join us for keynotes and panels from the nation’s leading “Energy Game Changers”. Our format is designed so that you can join when you can. Because we also know it is hard to sit through hours of content on end, the event will take place over the course of two days. We have reduced the amount of content per day to make participation easier.
June 8, 2021
Please note that all panels are in Eastern Time.
1:00 – 2:00 P.M. Welcome and panel on “Utility Innovation: Defining the Future of the Utility Customer Relationship”
This year offers a palpable air of excitement in the utilities industry. We have an administration heavily focused on carbon reduction and infrastructure transformation. We also have the most innovative technologies helping make our industry smarter. Whether that is the application of AI, Machine Learning or IoT or simply a new real-time understanding of customers energy use through years of AMI data. This session will provide a window into on how utilities are approaching the next level of customer engagement through the latest technologies and applications.
- Moderator: Juliet Shavit, President and CEO, SmartMark Communications
- Mike Wajsgras, Executive Director, Constellation
- Phil Markham, Smart Buildings R&D Manager, Southern Company
- Jonathan Tijerina, Sr. Director, Business & Economic Development, CPS Energy
2:15 – 3:00 P.M. “The Importance of Educating, Engaging, and Supporting Low Income and Vulnerable Customers”
Listen to advocates from different states share their thoughts on utility innovation, pilots, business case development, and the role they and low-income customers play in shaping future programs and services for utilities.
- Moderator: Jonathan Spencer Jones, Specialist Writer, Smart Energy International
- Keishaa Austin, Senior Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst, California Public Utilities Commission
- Andre Ramirez, Sr. Advisor-Regulatory Affairs & Strategy, Southern California Edison
- Laurence Daniels, Director of Litigation, Office of the People’s Counsel, DC
3:15 – 3:45 P.M. “The Role of Customers in Connected Communities”
Join BGE and local city stakeholders as they walk you through their Connected Communities program and talk about what steps they are taking to empower customers on the journey.
- Moderator: Taylor Jantz-Sell, Strategic Program Manager, US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Sam duPont, Principal, Strategic Programs, Baltimore Gas & Electric
- Meredith Salefski, Account Manager, SmartMark Communications
Keynote Address – Congressman Marc Veasey, TX-33
United States Congressman Marc Veasey proudly represents Texas’ newly drawn Congressional District 33 in the U.S. House of Representatives. He currently serves on the Committee on Energy and Commerce and is an avid supporter of innovation and efforts to combat climate change.
Presentation of the “Smart Grid Customer Innovation Awards: Energy Game Changers”
SmartEnergy IP is honored to present the 2021 Innovator of the Year Award to Commissioner Tim Echols of Georgia. Commissioner Echols’ innovative thinking towards renewable energy and affordable energy costs is helping lead the way towards a bright energy future.
June 9, 2021
1:00 – 2:00 P.M. “Transportation Electrification”
This year has seen a rise in infrastructure grants in areas related to transportation electrification. With the increased availability and accessibility of EVs and EV infrastructure, large automotive OEMs as well as companies like Amazon are heavily investing in an EV roadmap. This session will spotlight how some utilities and organizations are drafting their EV roadmaps and achieving real results.
- Moderator: Eric Durdov, Managing Director, Utilities, J.D. Power
- Nekabari Goka, Principal Business Program Manager, Utility of the Future, Pepco Holdings
- Dave Harris, Chief Commercial Officer, Port of Wilmington, GT USA Wilmington
- Divesh Gupta, Director, Strategy, Utility of the Future, Baltimore Gas & Electric
- Lisa Perry, Senior Manager, Energy Services, Walmart
2:15 – 3:00 P.M. “Innovative Customer Engagement”
Join professionals from leading energy providers and utilities as they share real-world stories around engaging customers during challenging times. Learn how some utilities have overcome Covid challenges to roll out and continue managing the industry’s most innovative programs.
- Moderator: Elisabeth Monaghan, Editor in Chief and Managing Editor, Electric Energy Online
- Katie Schieltz, Product Manager, Constellation
- Holly Smith, Director, Markets and Compliance, Walmart
- Marina Hod, Product Manager, Optimization & Distributed Energy, Centrica
3:15 – 4:15 P.M. “Workshop with Mr. Joseph Paladino of the U.S. Department of Energy and Juliet Shavit of SmartMark Communications”
Transformation at the Grid Edge
This invitation-only workshop will explore transformation at the grid edge which is happening as a result of a confluence of factors, including conducive state policies, the emergence of new technologies and services, and evolving customer preferences. The discussion will examine challenges and pathways for evolving coherent system designs and operating strategies.
Please note that this is a UTILITIES-ONLY workshop. No vendors or third party stakeholders will be present.
Note: If you are an energy company or utility interested in participating, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Joe Paladino, Program Manager, Advanced Grid Research and Development Division, U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- 4:30 P.M. Conclusion: Join us at this time to review key takeaways from the event and discuss ongoing opportunities for engagement.